Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fire rips through Phsar Touch

Fire rips through Phsar Touch

Fire rips through Phsar Touch

A massive column of smoke rose from the centre of Phnom Penh yesterday afternoon as the first major fire of the year consumed more than 30 houses and market stalls in the capital’s Russey Keo district.

Neth Vantha, director of the Phnom Penh Fire Department, said the fire totally destroyed 13 homes and 20 shops in Tuol Sangke commune, home to the Phsar Touch market area, but did not claim any casualties.

“The fire area was complicated for the fire trucks to get into, and we used 23 fire trucks to put out the fire,” Vantha said, adding that each fire truck was forced to refill three or four times. “This was the first huge fire this year so far.”

Some trucks had to drive through heavy traffic as far as six kilometres round-trip – to the northern end of Sothearos Boulevard and back – to refill their tanks, according to Twitter user Casey Nelson, who was having a coffee at the K-West hotel.

“I stopped at K-West, and two water trucks came up with their sirens blaring,” said Nelson, who asked that he be identified by his internet pseudonym. “The first one hooked up to the hydrant, took about five minutes, then did a u-turn and headed back up the riverfront.”

District governor Klaing Huot, who was at the scene, said that the cause of the fire, and the extent of the damage, was still unknown.

“We will question the victims to find out the cause of the fire,” he said, adding that authorities would provide emergency assistance to victims who lost their homes.

The scene at Phsar Touch was chaotic, with some residents trying to save belongings from their homes, and others shouting to fire fighters, asking them to turn the hoses on their homes before they, too, burst into flames.

The fire fighters, for their part, worked feverishly to contain the conflagration, which was fanned by strong winds.

Resident Nov Soy, 66, whose house was completely destroyed, told the Post the flames seemed to have emanated from a local rental house, before quickly spreading.

“I didn’t know what stuff to pick out [and take with me],” she said, adding that she had only had time to grab her purse before fleeing. “I will demand authorities find out the cause of the fire and will ask for compensation, as I have nothing left.”

According to Neth Vantha, there have been 47 fires in the capital this year, but yesterday’s was the largest yet.

To contact the reporter on this story: Khouth Sophak Chakrya at [email protected]
With assistance from Stuart White

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Japan bank buys major stake in ANZ Royal Bank

    Japan's largest bank acquired more than half of ANZ’s shares in Cambodia on Thursday, according to a statement from Kith Meng’s Royal Group. Japan's JTrust Bank, announced that they had acquired a 55% of stake in ANZ Royal Bank. According to a Royal Group

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman