Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fire victims make deal with govt

Fire victims make deal with govt

Fire victims make deal with govt

NEARLY 300 families who lost their homes in a suspected arson attack in Phnom Penh in April have struck a deal with City Hall that will allow them to remain in the capital, a representative told the Post Thursday.

Officials originally said the victims of the April 16 fire in Tomnup Toek commune should relocate to Kandal province's Ponhea Leu district, but residents wanted land in Dangkor district. City Hall agreed on Wednesday, Toch Sophan said.

For the next 100 days, the 288 families will each save US$1 a day. They will then contribute $100 each to the purchase, with City Hall covering the rest. "By December, the residents must have $100. Otherwise, they will not receive land in Dangkor," he said.

Horm Neun, another representative, said the families had entered the agreement voluntarily and had been told by officials that they would still receive the land in Kandal if the Dangkor plan fell through.

Phnom Penh Deputy Governor Mann Chhoeun, the City Hall official who generally handles eviction cases, could not be reached by the Post for comment on Thursday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • ‘Dire consequences’ from sanctions, warns AmCham

    American businesspeople in Cambodia have warned that any sanction against the Kingdom would have “dire consequences” that could push Cambodia even further into the arms of China. In a letter to US senators and representatives dated Monday, the American Chamber of Commerce Cambodia (AmCham) said

  • Preah Sihanouk beach developments halted

    After receiving an order from Hun Sen, Minister of Land Management Chea Sophara led a team of experts and relevant officials to Sihanoukville to call a halt to the illegal development of a beach. The prime minister ordered the Prek Treng beach in Otres commune