Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fishery crimes revealed



Fishery crimes revealed

Officials inspect and confiscate illegal fishing gear during a patrol along Tonle Sap river last week in Kampong Chnang province. Photo supplied
Officials inspect and confiscate illegal fishing gear during a patrol along Tonle Sap river last week in Kampong Chnang province. Photo supplied

Fishery crimes revealed

More than 300 fishery crimes were identified during the month of July around the Tonle Sap region and more than 3,000 fish were released back into the water, an official said yesterday. Hong Hy, spokesman for the Fisheries Administration Department, said the department cooperated with local authorities to crack down on 311 fishery crimes, confiscating several pieces of equipment for illegal fishing and releasing 3,061 fish back into the Tonle Sap.

“Though the authorities regularly launch crackdowns, the crimes continue to happen,’’ he said. “Most of the fishery crime offenders are the local people in the fishing communities.’’

Officials inspect and confiscate illegal fishing gear during a patrol along Tonle Sap river last week in Kampong Chnang province. Photo supplied
Officials inspect and confiscate illegal fishing gear during a patrol along Tonle Sap river last week in Kampong Chnang province. Photo supplied

Uot Long, a member of the Pursat provincial Cambodia Fishing Alliance, acknowledged that most fishery crimes were committed by fishermen because they depend on fishing to make a living. During the first six months of this year, Fishery Administration officials intercepted 1,653 fishery crimes nationwide.

Suspects in 49 cases were sent to court, and 52 suspects were handed prison sentences, while others were only fined. The fines totalled 166 million riel, or about $40,653. The fishing ban on the south part of the Tonle Sap lake began in early June and is set to last until early October. In the north of the Tonle Sap, the ban began in early July and will last through the end of October.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman