Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fishy furore: Shellfish protestors in bus ban

Fishy furore: Shellfish protestors in bus ban

Fishy furore: Shellfish protestors in bus ban

Fishy furore
Villagers in Siem Reap’s Sotr Nikum district sayd they were blocked by local authorities from travelling to Siem Reap on Tuesday to protest a recent ban on collecting shellfish.

Fisherman Sngem Deun said that local police in Kampong Khlaing commune prevented his group of villagers from boarding a bus headed to Siem Reap because they thought the villagers would cause trouble. “Police asked us to write our names down and how many villagers wanted to go to Siem Reap,” he said.

Village representative Horn Mao said that more than 80 families in his village had been adversely affected by an August ban that prevented them from using machines to collect shellfish. “They didn’t reveal the reason and now there’s nothing we can do. Our lives, our families, our children are dependent on this livelihood,” he said.

Horn Mao was able to travel to Siem Reap city on Monday night, ahead of the police’s blockage efforts, and said he aimed to meet with parliament member Sieng Nam for help. “I would like to meet with Sieng Nam, however, I really don’t know if I can meet with him or not,” he said.

The prohibition was issued after an investigation by the Tonle Sap Authority revealed that most families in the village were fishing with a machine, commune chief Pa Bo told the Post.

Minh Bunlly, an official with the Fisheries Action Coalition Team based in Siem Reap, said that the practice of catching shellfish with a machine was illegal, citing the 2007 Law on Water Resource Management. “Using a machine to collect shellfish threatens other species in the river,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a