Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Five injured after man attacks UXO

Five injured after man attacks UXO

Five injured after man attacks UXO

At least five people were injured when a piece of unexploded ordnance (UXO) detonated in Banteay Meanchey’s Mongkol Borei district on Monday. Phon Salim, a district police inspector, said the explosion occurred after a man purchased the projectile from a group of children and then battered the UXO with an axe until it detonated. The man was injured, as were some children who were watching him. “It was a careless act, but no one was killed. They were only slightly injured,” he said, and added that all the victims were taken to Mongkol Borei hospital. Recent figures from the Cambodia Mine/ERW Victim Information System (CMVIS) showed that total casualties from land mines had dropped by 45 percent during the first quarter of the year compared with the same period last year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police

  • Rapper deletes song critical of Cambodian social issues

    A young musician has deleted from Facebook and YouTube a rap song that was critical of Cambodia’s social issues and announced that he will stop singing the song after officials visited his home in Siem Reap province and allegedly gave him a warning. Provincial