Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Flooded forest illegally cleared in Kampong Chhnang



Flooded forest illegally cleared in Kampong Chhnang

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A view of paddy fields in Kampong Chhnang province. Authorities there say they are probing flooded land that was illegally cleared. Photo supplied

Flooded forest illegally cleared in Kampong Chhnang

The Kampong Chhnang provincial department of agriculture, forestry and fishery is working to identify suspects who had mobilised tractors to illegally clear flooded forest in Toek Phos district’s O’krabey Ngob and O’Klong in Chieb communes.

Department director Ngin Hun told The Post on Monday that the tractors were impounded after the suspects fled the scene. “At least 10ha of flooded forest in the areas have been cleared illegally.

“The suspects may have received a tip-off about the raid. They had escaped before we arrived, leaving their vehicles behind. We’re working to bring the perpetrators to justice,” he said.

However, villagers allege that the clearing of flooded forest in the area had been made possible by some local authority officials, including a village chief.

Keo Hong, 38, from Chieb commune’s Chieb village, claimed that traders and local authorities colluded to clear dozens of hectares of flooded forests in O’Krabey Ngob and O’Klong communes. They had even lured some villagers to join hands with them.

“It’s not outsiders who convinced villagers to clear the flooded forests, but the Khtum Koh village chief and some Akphivoat commune officials.

“They [village chief and commune officials] warned villagers against telling anyone. They gave $100 to each villager who was willing to clear the flooded forest,” Hong claimed.

He said the money was provided by six unidentified middlemen from Kampong Chhnang province who are also the owners of the tractors.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese