Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Flooded mangrove forest filled in with sand from illegal dredging

Flooded mangrove forest filled in with sand from illegal dredging

At least 2 hectares of mangroves at Koh Kong’s Peam Krasaop Wildlife Sanctuary have been filled with sand coming from illegal sand dredging in the same area.
At least 2 hectares of mangroves at Koh Kong’s Peam Krasaop Wildlife Sanctuary have been filled with sand coming from illegal sand dredging in the same area. Photo supplied

Flooded mangrove forest filled in with sand from illegal dredging

At least 2 hectares of flooded mangrove forest in Koh Kong’s Peam Krasaop Wildlife Sanctuary have been filled in with sand from illegal dredging nearby, with local authorities and an NGO yesterday claiming an unidentified “powerful” tycoon was behind the environmental crimes.

Oul Rann, director of the Peam Krasaop Wildlife Sanctuary, said environmental officials earlier this week inspected the site. Although there was no active sand dredging at the time of the inspection, officials found traces of the crimes.

“We arrived at the site and we saw no machines, but we saw some traces of sand pipes,” he said. “They dredged sand for filling in close to a crab-raising field.”

Rann and Kay Krong, Stung Veng commune chief, both claimed they didn’t know the identity of the person behind the illegal activities, but were searching for those responsible.

Huot Heng, deputy commune chief of Stung Veng commune, said a province working group also inspected the location on Sunday after obtaining a local media report.

Heng said about 2 hectares of mangrove had been filled in with sand, but he wasn’t able to estimate the total land size. He claimed the area had been sold multiple times, but the current owner does not live in the commune.

He said about three days ago, he met one of the former owners of the land, Siv Chou, who told him she had sold the land to an “unknown oknha”, or tycoon. It’s unclear how she initially obtained the land.

Hak Bora, head of the Khemarak Phumin town land management office, said officials would not “dare” issue any land titles for that land because it’s in the coastal area.

“It is coastal land, so who dares to [issue a land title]?” he asked. “The persons who operated the sand dredging are very brave, but I have never known them.”

In 2016, the Council of Ministers issued a directive ordering officials in the coastal areas to annul land titles that had been granted for 300 hectares of filled-in mangrove swamps.

Neither Morm Phalla, director of the provincial Department of Environment, nor Pich Siyon, director of the provincial Department of Mines and Energy, could be reached for comment.

Yos Monarith, spokesman for the Ministry of Mines and Energy, declined to comment.

Sreng Hong, deputy governor in Koh Kong, said he received a letter from the provincial Department of Mines and Energy informing provincial authorities of a crime related to sand dredging, but declined to further comment on the case.

Nheab Sam Oeun, provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, claimed he had also been told the land belonged to a tycoon, and said he had seen huge sand dredging equipment.

“The oknha, who is a powerful person, grabbed it with his accomplice,” he alleged.

Sok Sokhom, director of the Cambodia National Research Organization, a local NGO monitoring mangroves in coastal areas, said there are still many cases of mangrove land grabs, including seven cases in Koh Kong, alone, which he plans to investigate next week.

MOST VIEWED

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges