Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Flooding death toll now at 18

Flooding death toll now at 18

Flooding death toll now at 18

Floods wreaking havoc in northwest Cambodia have claimed the lives of five more people in the past week, bringing the death toll to 18, the National Committee for Disaster Management said yesterday.

Officials predict water levels in the Mekong River, which started flooding last month, will continue to rise for another four to five days.

The flooding, caused by heavy rains and the opening of dams in Vietnam and Thailand, has affected seven provinces – Banteay Meanchey, Kampong Cham, Kampong Thom, Kratie, Oddar Meanchey, Ratanakkiri and Stung Treng – forcing more than 2,000 families to evacuate.

“Local authorities and the Cambodian Red Cross are in provinces which were hit by flood and they have already evacuated residents to safe places to ensure their safety,” said Nhim Vanda of the National Committee for Disaster Management.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked

  • Assembly passes amendment to Political Party Law Article 45

    The National Assembly on Thursday unanimously approved a proposed amendment to Article 45 of the Law on Political Parties in a move that could pave the way for former senior opposition leaders banned for five years to return to the political stage. As expected, the 115 ruling