Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Food aid well-used, ADB says

Food aid well-used, ADB says

Food aid well-used, ADB says

Bank claims rice distribution reached the right people

THE Asian Development Bank has called the first phase of its US$40 million emergency food program a success, despite ongoing allegations that the administration of rice handouts by village chiefs was tainted by corruption.

"This assistance is making a very real difference in the lives of Cambodia's most vulnerable," ADB country director Arjun Goswami said in a statement released Friday. He added that the program had effectively reached those in need and said the government was to be praised for its efforts.

The government was to launch today its investigation - with ADB observance - into complaints that the rice was not distributed fairly. The ADB did not release the number of complaints but described them as "relatively limited" in quantity. These included only complaints made to the ADB's own complaints hotline, not to independent monitors.

"I don't think the investigation will take a long time, it's not too difficult," said Vong Sandap, deputy secretary general for the Ministry of Finance.

"We trust them [commune chiefs in charge of distribution]. They are the ones who know exactly who should receive emergency food assistance and who should not," he added.

Earlier this month, more than  1,000 villagers in Banteay Meanchey filed complaints against local authorities, saying they were victims of blatant cronyism. Some 300 villagers protested in Pursat and Oddar Meanchey provinces, saying that they did not receive rice because village chiefs distributed only to family, friends and fellow CPP members.

Vong Sandap said he believed the protests were politically motivated.

Yang Saing Koma, director of the agricultural NGO Cedac, which monitored rice distribution in Pursat and Kampong Chhnang provinces, said he was unsure if observers would be involved in the investigation but was willing to help if asked.

The three-year project will now enter its second phase, focusing on food-for-work programs. 

MOST VIEWED

  • Diplomatic passports issued to foreigners to be annulled

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation will move to annul diplomatic passports issued to those not born in Cambodia. Analysts say the move may be in relation to reports that former Thai prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra used a Cambodian passport to register as

  • Hun Sen warns Irish MP of EBA ‘mistake’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Saturday told former Irish premier Enda Kenny, still a member of the EU nation’s parliament, that the 28-nation bloc should not make a “third mistake” regarding Cambodia by using the preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement to “take 16 million

  • The hairy little heroes saving many lives in rural Cambodia

    IN RURAL Siem Reap province, rats dare to tread where no person will, as these hairy little heroes place their lives on the line each day for the good of the local community. The rodents are the most important members of a special team, leading

  • PM warns EU and opposition on 34th anniversary of his rule

    HUN Sen reached the milestone of 34 years as Cambodian prime minister on Monday and used the groundbreaking ceremony for a new ring road around Phnom Penh to tell the international community that putting sanctions on the Kingdom meant killing the opposition. “Please don’t forget