Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Food security in focus as floods recede

Food security in focus as floods recede

Food security in focus as floods recede

The government had set aside 3,000 tonnes of rice seeds to distribute to farmers whose crops were destroyed by flooding and had so far distributed 1,900 tonnes of rice to those affected by the floods in 18 provinces, the National Committee for Disaster Management said yesterday.

NCDM spokesman Keo Vy also said that most of those who had been displaced in 16 of the 18 provinces hit by flooding had returned to their homes. Only those displaced in Kampong Chhnang and Kampong Thom provinces remained unable to return to their homes due to high floodwaters, he said.

During a visit to flood-affected families in Kampong Cham province’s Batheay district, Deputy Prime Minister Hor Namhong said the government would deliver another 2,000 tonnes of rice to families affected by the floods.

Keo Vy said the challenge now was to focus on food security.

“We have prepared everything, including assistance from the international community to support rehabilitation for affected families from three to six months,” he said.

As many as 1.7 million Cambodians have been affected by the flooding and about 100,000 families have had to evacuate their homes and flee to higher ground, according to the NCDM.

The US embassy in Phnom Penh said yesterday almost US$1.5 million would be provided for emergency relief in three provinces. The funding from USAid’s office of foreign disaster assistance would be
split into two grants.

Save the Children would receive $750,000 to help support 31,500 famil-ies in Kampong Cham and Kampong Thom, and World Vision would receive $721,807 to help support 27,000 families in Kandal and Kampong Thom.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • IPU slams government claim

    The president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Gabriela Cuevas Barron, has refuted a claim by the National Assembly that she “highly appreciated the achievements of Cambodia” in its July national elections with a tweet saying “Of course not!” before adding “No congratulations”. A delegation from