Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Foreigners charged for 'producing porn' after Siem Reap party bust



Foreigners charged for 'producing porn' after Siem Reap party bust

A photo posted by the National Police of the 10 foreigners detained for "producing pornographic photographs" in Siem Reap. National Police
A photo posted by the National Police of the 10 foreigners detained for "producing pornographic photographs" in Siem Reap. National Police

Foreigners charged for 'producing porn' after Siem Reap party bust

A lawyer for 10 foreign nationals arrested last week during a party in Siem Reap confirmed Monday they have been provisionally charged for “producing pornography”.

The 10 include five British and two Canadian citizens, as well as a Dutch, Norwegian and New Zealand national. They were taken into custody from Siem Reap town’s Svay Dangkum commune last Thursday and sent to pre-trial detention on Sunday.

Sourng Sophea, the group’s lawyer, said that his clients had not committed the alleged crime and expected the trial to be held within a month.

They are charged for “production” of pornography under Article 39 of the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation, which carries a maximum prison sentence of one year.

Officials have been tight lipped about the circumstances leading to the arrest, but a police report says that anti-trafficking officers went to a house in the commune to “crack down on a case of pornographic pictures and pornographic materials” at an event called “Let’s Get Wet”.

It reports that police officials found used condoms, as well as people drinking and dancing in a sexual manner.

Police say 87 people were detained in the raid, with all but 10 released after being educated about “Khmer traditions and culture”.

The group’s lawyer, Sophea, said the police had not divulged any evidence of the alleged crime and that his clients were only holding a pool party. “They were having a party in their place where there is a swimming pool. For me, just wearing a bikini is not a pornographic activity,” he said.

On a Facebook page for “Let’s Get Wet”, the group advertised a party at a “secret” location held last Thursday. The page also includes photographs and video from past parties, mostly of lounging and drinking around a pool, though one video posted last year does contain some nudity, where women can be seen exposing their breasts. The page appeared to have been taken down on Monday afternoon.

Siem Reap court spokesman Yin Srang did not comment on the case, only pointing to court documents, and anti-human trafficking and provincial police officials declined to comment.

A relative of one of the detainees, who asked to remain anonymous, said on Sunday that the police had prevented women dressed in bikinis from putting on their clothes before they were photographed and had demanded bribes from attendees.

Additional Reporting by Ananth Baliga

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year