Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Former chief bodyguard receives royal pardon

Former chief bodyguard receives royal pardon

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former head of Senate president Chea Sim’s bodyguard unit, Chhoeun Chanthan (centre), appears at the Appeal Court on December 25, 2012, in Phnom Penh. Pha Lina

Former chief bodyguard receives royal pardon

The former chief bodyguard of late Senate president Chea Sim has received a royal pardon nearly eight years after he was sentenced to 15 years behind bars on several charges, according to a royal decree dated November 12, last year, and obtained by The Post on Wednesday.

Chhoeun Chanthan, who was also a senior military official, was arrested at his home in the capital’s Boeung Keng Kang III commune on August 12, 2011, a day after he accompanied Chea Sim to a museum inauguration ceremony in Prey Veng province.

The arrest followed a royal decree dated August 12, 2011, annulling all previous appointments.

Chanthan was sentenced by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in February 2011 to 15 years’ imprisonment on charges of breach of trust, intentional destruction and embezzlement of state properties, illegal distribution of weapons and destruction of military material. He was also ordered to pay a fine of $3.5 million to the plaintiff.

“We, King Norodom Sihamoni, grants a pardon to convict Chhoen Chanthan, 41, whose . . . sentences were upheld in the Supreme Court’s verdict dated October 9, 2017,” said the royal decree.

The pardon was granted at the behest of Prime Minister Hun Sen, according to Ministry of Justice spokesman Chin Malin.

Malin said he was unsure of the prime minister’s motive behind the request of a royal pardon for Chanthan.

“It’s the prime minister’s special right to request the King to grant a pardon to any convict in accordance with the prison management law."

“It depends on the head of the government who [makes the request] if it is significant or beneficial to the government and the country,” he said.

Council of Ministers spokesman Phay Siphan could not be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the