Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Former general’s appeal over lockdown breach fails

Former general’s appeal over lockdown breach fails

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ung Chanthouk walks out of the Supreme Court after an earlier hearing on January 17. Kim Sarom

Former general’s appeal over lockdown breach fails

The Supreme Court on January 24 upheld the 18-month prison sentence handed down to a former two-star general for violating government lockdown orders in April last year. The decision followed a hearing on January 17.

Ung Chanthouk, a former National Police two-star general, was arrested in Phnom Penh on April 16 along with two accomplices for violating the government-imposed lockdown orders aimed at guarding against the community spread of Covid-19.

The former general and his accomplices were caught drinking, singing and playing with the tenants of his rental units – mostly garment factory workers – in Meanchey district’s Stung Meanchey III commune.

During the hearing on January 17, the defence lawyer appealed for clemency, saying his client had taken responsibility for his actions and turned himself in for arrest. The three, he noted, did not attempt to flee, knowing that this would increase the risk of spreading Covid-19.

However, a Supreme Court judge said the lower court’s decision was just.

“After reaching a unanimous agreement, the trial chamber of the Supreme Court has decided to uphold the decision made by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court of Appeal,” the judge said, announcing the verdict.

On July 29, Chanthouk and his two accomplices, Lay Phearun and Kok Khy, who both were sentenced to one year in jail, were also ordered to pay a fine of five million riel ($1,250) each. They were charged under articles 3, 4, and 11 of the law on the control of Covid-19 and other contagious diseases, which was enacted in March 2021.

MOST VIEWED

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a

  • Textile industry minimum wage now $200

    The official minimum wage for workers in textile-related sectors including garment, footwear, and travel goods for 2023 was pegged at $198, with Prime Minister Hun Sen stepping in to add $2 to the total, making it $200 per month. The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training made the announcement