Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Former KR help in mine clearing



Former KR help in mine clearing

Former KR help in mine clearing

F ORMER Khmer Rouge commander Colonel Chhouk Rin will use five KR defectors to pinpoint

and clear an estimated 9,000 landmines around Phnom Voar.

Phnom Voar, in Kampot province, became the focal point of international attention

last year when three Western tourists were kidnapped by Rin - who later defected

- and eventually murdered at the rebel stronghold.

The drive to clear Phnom Voar of mines, something unthinkable a year ago before defections

and a concerted government offensive to clear the area of KR, will be led by the

Cambodian Mine Action Center (CMAC).

Around 180 Cambodian deminers, or six platoons, has begun clearing the 40 hectare

area. Rin is a key player. "The clearing operation will not take long. [Five

defectors] will pinpoint where the mines are... they know very well where the mines

were laid," he said. Rin put the number of mines at around 9,000, Chinese and

Russian-made, which had been laid since around 1981.

CMAC director Ieng Mouly officially launched the project on Oct 6, some eight kilometers

from where the three Westerners, David Wilson, Jean-Michel Braquet and Mark Slater,

had been killed.

The land, once cleared, will be settled by about 230 families of defectors, whom

authorities hope could grow pepper crops.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting