Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Former KR refuse offer for new land

Former KR refuse offer for new land

Former KR refuse offer for new land

Banteay Meanchey provincial officials yesterday offered to find new land for 74 former Khmer Rouge soldiers locked in a land dispute with their military bosses.

The ex-soldiers claim that in the late 1990s, the government allotted each of them 50 hectares of land in Malai district’s Tuol Pongro commune – territory that their commanders allegedly sold for a profit before the soldiers could move in.

Yesterday, representatives of the soldiers’ families, provincial authorities and Mao Kiri, former deputy chief of Regiment E67, met to broker a solution.

Provincial deputy governor Chong Pet claimed the families would be offered new land if they would move off of the Tuol Pongro commune parcels they began occupying in March. Pet stopped short of specifying where the soldiers could relocate to, or how much they would be given.

“We cannot accept the decision. We will fight to the death and not leave here,” said Ly Khley, 46, a community representative and former Khmer Rouge soldier.

Som Chankea, provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, also expressed disappointment at the deputy governor’s insistence on evicting the soldiers.

“He did not investigate. He came to the meeting and it seemed like a decision had already been made,” Chankea said.

Kiri, now a commander of Battalion 511, said he was satisfied with the outcome.

“We have witnesses that the land was sold collectively to business people. I am not a thief selling other people’s land,” he said. “So please, people dwelling in the area, leave and the provincial authorities will find a new location for you.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s