Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Former Lieutenant General faces accusations

Former Lieutenant General faces accusations

Former Lieutenant General faces accusations

Disgraced former Lieutenant General Doeun Sovann appeared in court on Nov. 5, 2012. to answer charges for attempting to rope in volunteers from Prime Minister Hun Sen’s national land-titling scheme, monitoring measurment of a disputed plot he allegedly purchased.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court investigating Judge Ly Lip Meng said Sovann, who was sacked and stripped of his rank last month, faced court on charges of illegal interference while fulfilling a public function and issuing threats.

“He appeared at Phnom Penh Municipal Court early this morning. I have already questioned him about the accusations against him,” he said.

“Although he was charged by the court, he was not detained. He was allowed to stay under the control of the court. He will appear at the court when it is required,” he said.

The premier publicly called for the sacking of Sovann – also a former adviser to the Ministry of Interior – after the accusation surfaced that he called on land volunteers to measure a 52-hectare plot for him at Da commune in Pursat province’s Veal Veng district.

A senior police official previously told the Post that Sovann had since begged Hun Sen to pardon him for his past mistakes, offering up the 52-hectares he claims in Sangkum Thmey village to the government without compensation.

In a letter dated October 2 2012, Sovann called on the chief of the department of land management in Veal Veng to help him measure the land so that he would not have to sue nine families that denied the sale.

Major Theang Leng, chief of the Veal Veng district police, and Brigadier General Sarun Chanty, chief of the Pursat Provincial Police Commision, both said on Nov. 5, 2012 that they were unaware of any land Sovann had bought in the district.

Kong Samath, a police officer under the Phnom Penh municipal commissioner, said if Sovann were found guilty of both charges, he would face at least three to five years in prison.

To contact the reporter on this story: Buth Reaksmey Kongkea at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will