Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Former RFA reporters charged with pornography, lawyer says

Former RFA reporters charged with pornography, lawyer says

Former RFA reporter Yeang Sothearin leaves the Phnom Penh Municipal Court earlier this month after being questioned about the pornography charges.
Former RFA reporter Yeang Sothearin leaves the Phnom Penh Municipal Court earlier this month after being questioned about the pornography charges. Pha Lina

Former RFA reporters charged with pornography, lawyer says

The lawyer for two former RFA journalists charged with “espionage” said on Thursday morning they have been additionally charged with production of pornography, seemingly in relation to widely disseminated photos that purportedly show one of them in compromising positions.

Keo Vanny, who represents former Radio Free Asia reporters Oun Chhin and Yeang Sothearin, said they were charged two weeks ago for producing pornography in relation to photos that were published shortly after their arrest by pro-government media outlets in November.

The photos show a man, purported to be Chhin, performing and filming a sex act, though the man in the photos cannot be conclusively identified. Sothearin does not feature anywhere in the photos. The duo was questioned earlier this month in relation to the photos.

“I received the information about the charge from the court on Wednesday,” Vanny said. “Through my discussions with them, they said they had not done it.”

Vanny said he was not sure about the exact charges, but that it could be Article 39 of the Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation Law, which carries a prison sentence of up to one year for production of pornography.

As of Thursday evening, Vanny said he still had not been handed over the case file because an investigating judge had not been assigned, so he was still unsure of the details.

“We submitted an application for the documents, but it was rejected by the court administration,” he said.

Sothearin and Chhin are facing the heftier charge of “espionage” after being accused of attempting to continue reporting for the US-based RFA after it shuttered its operations in Cambodia amid a wider government crackdown on independent media outlets.

If convicted, they could face seven to 15 years in prison.

Court spokesman Y Rin would only confirm that an investigating judge was looking into the case, but refused to provide details of the exact charges or name of the prosecutor in charge of the case.

A family member of Chhin, who requested anonymity for fear of reprisals from their employer, said the charges were made up and that the entire investigation, including the espionage charges, was so far based on no evidence.

“It is more than four months and they have not found any documents or evidence to incriminate them but now it has emerged there is another crime.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this