Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Four in Mondulkiri court for logging




Four in Mondulkiri court for logging

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Four men were arrested for logging in Mondulkiri on Tuesday. Military police

Four in Mondulkiri court for logging

Mondulkiri provincial Forestry Administration sent four men to court for their involvement in a forest crime in Keo Seima district.

Mondulkiri provincial Military Police arrested the four men and confiscated a van, two chainsaws and another equipment used to commit the forest crime in Sre Khtum commune on Monday.

Mondulkiri provincial Military Police commander Hem Bonarel said on Wednesday that 10 Keo Seima district and provincial Military Police officials cracked down on the crime and apprehended the four red-handed.

“After confiscating the evidence, we questioned the four before handing them over to the provincial forestry administration,” he said.

Provincial Forestry Administration director Um Van Sopheak said that his expert officials had questioned the four and sent them to the court on Wednesday, while the evidence was impounded at his office.

“We are taking legal action against them and we sent them to court. The court will make a decision on the case,” he said.

Provincial agriculture department director Song Kheang noticed that the crackdowns on forest crimes last year were better than than in 2018 when the National Committee for Prevention and Crackdown on Natural Resource Crimes had taken legal measures against some officials from Military Police, Forestry Administration, environment units as well as okhna and their accomplices.

“The National Committee for Prevention and Crackdown on Natural Resource Crimes tries to stamp out the forest crimes effectively every day,” he said.

On July 9, last year, the National Committee for Forest Crime Prevention arrested tycoon Soeng Sam Ol, who is an owner of the Master K Sun company; two supervisors and a driver for illegal logging. Meanwhile, over 40 vehicles used in forest crimes were seized and set on fire.

On July 27, last year, they additionally apprehended environment official Han Sokhorn, Forestry Administration officers Saro Ratana and Hong Vanne, and Keo Seima district Military Police commander Sak Sarun.

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped