Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fraud generals charged in Preah Vihear

Fraud generals charged in Preah Vihear

Fraud generals charged in Preah Vihear

Two men accused of posing as Royal Cambodian Armed Forces generals in order to trick villagers in Preah Vihear province had been charged at court on Saturday, police officials said yesterday.

Colonel Cheth Vanny, deputy chief of Battambang provincial police, told the Post the Preah Vihear Provincial Court had charged Taing Vantheang, also known as Reith, 50, and Kong Keo, 40, with fraud after they had convinced people they could be granted land in Thmarkol district’s Bansay Tren commune – if they paid the two “generals” for the privilege.

“They do not work with RCAF and are certainly not generals . . . They have been charged with fraud,” Vanny said.

Mean Lay, director of Battambang provincial minor police, said the two men had been arres-ted on Wednesday after complaints they were demanding copies of villagers’ IDs and money in exchange for the land concessions.

According to complaints, he said, the men had told villagers the provincial authority was distributing five hectares of land to each poor family and would include them in the deal for a pre-payment of $120.

To contact the reporter on this story: Buth Reaksmey Kongkea at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will