Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Freed journalist to file appeal

Freed journalist to file appeal

Freed journalist to file appeal

A JOURNALIST who was recently released from prison after serving a year on disinformation charges says he will file an appeal today to the Supreme Court to have his conviction quashed and to demand US$120,000 in damages from the government.

Ros Sokhet, who was sentenced to two years in prison after allegedly sending threatening text messages to news anchor Soy Sopheap, was released last month after serving a year in prison. Despite his
release, which followed the intervention of Information Minister Khieu Kanharith, Ros Sokhet said he wanted his “whole case” re-investigated.

“If the court increases my jail term, I’ll accept it, but only if the court makes it clear for me,” he said yesterday.

Ros Sokhet said Khieu Kanharith wrote to Justice Minister Ang Vong Vattana on Friday, thanking him for helping secure the journalist’s release.

He added, however, that this was merely a way for the information minister to close the case without addressing the charges he wanted dropped.

But Sam Brochea, a cabinet chief at the Ministry of Justice, said government officials had been working on Ros Sokhet’s release since September, before the journalist said he wrote to officials requesting his release.

Ros Sokhet said he was confident he would be awarded the $120,000 he was seeking in compensation, and that he planned to donate $50,000 to the Sam Rainsy and Human Rights parties for their 2013 national election campaigns.

He also intends to start an anticorruption newspaper that will target Prime Minister Hun Sen and provide a platform for the opposition parties.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh