Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Freedom Park tune cut short

Freedom Park tune cut short

Heng Samnang talks to media near Freedom Park after being moved on by authorities in Phnom Penh
Heng Samnang talks to media near Freedom Park after being moved on by authorities in Phnom Penh yesterday. Vireak Mai

Freedom Park tune cut short

In keeping with authorities’ indefinite ban on assembly, security forces yesterday morning dispersed a small gathering of nine youth activists who had planned to call for new elections and justice on behalf of recently slain protesters while singing songs about nonviolence in Freedom Park.

Hoping to skirt a rumoured 10-person limit on public gatherings, the nine singers – who were affiliated with a group called Khmer Youth Empire – were blocked from entering Freedom Park by more than 100 members of the military police.

The group instead briefly sang on the eastern side of Norodom Boulevard, across from Freedom Park, but was quickly shooed away by Daun Penh security guards, who then roved the area for several minutes looking for stragglers.

“We come to sing a peaceful song here to demand justice and a new election,” Heng Samnang, the 21-year-old president of Khmer Youth Empire, said. “However, we still continue our activity. Next time we will stir up youths to speak out. They know, they have heard, they are suffering a lot, but they do not know how to join [the movement].”

According to Samnang, Khmer Youth Empire has over 100 members, and is unaffiliated with the Cambodia National Rescue Party.

The dispersal prompted the rights group Adhoc to issue a statement yesterday noting the government’s obligations to ensure freedom of assembly.

“In today’s Cambodia, even the smallest gathering is not tolerated. ADHOC reminds the government that the rights to free assembly is a fundamental tenet of democracy which they are bound by both domestic and international law to uphold,” the statement reads.

Phnom Penh Municipal Hall spokesman Long Dimanche, however, defended the decision to disperse the activists and observers, saying that authorities cannot allow any group to gather at Freedom Park.

“[Samnang’s act of] expression is not in accordance with the law. He has not asked permission or informed the authorities. It is normal for authorities to go disperse illegal gatherings like this,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong