Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Future uncertain for women's radio station

Future uncertain for women's radio station

Information Minister Khieu Kanharith speaks to the press in August about media licences following the abrupt shuttering of several independent media outlets.
Information Minister Khieu Kanharith speaks to the press in August about media licences following the abrupt shuttering of several independent media outlets. Heng Chivoan

Future uncertain for women's radio station

The operator of an FM radio frequency has been warned to stop offering airtime to the Women’s Media Centre (WMC), a station that has focused on women’s issues for the last 19 years, as she does not have permission from the Ministry of Information to do so.

Minister of Information Khieu Kanharith on Wednesday ordered Chea Sundaneth, the former manager of WMC and the owner of 102FM, to stop renting out her frequency without ministry approval.

“In order to respect the law, if you want to continue selling airtime on 102FM’s frequency, please follow the procedures seeking approval from the ministry first,” he said.

The ministry gave Sundaneth two weeks to do so, threatening legal action.

Sundaneth yesterday declined to comment in detail. “To be short, I really am guilty, I acknowledge my guilt,” she said. “I cannot talk more. I am checking on [the letter] now.”

A senior WMC employee, who requested anonymity, said the radio station had been broadcasting on the frequency free of charge for the past 19 years.

“We are concerned,” the employee said. “We became a vocal voice for women. We have produced many programs to empower women in society and produce programs to end domestic violence.”

WMC also broadcast Voice of America and Radio Free Asia programs until the government shuttered nearly 20 stations in August for doing so without permission. At the time, Kanharith announced that WMC had been given leeway because of its social mission.

Ministry of Information spokesman Ouk Kimseng said that when a frequency is owned privately, it cannot subcontract it without notifying the Information Ministry.

“Let’s wait and see for the technical and administrative department to review,” he said.

Moeun Chhean Nariddh, director of Cambodian Institute for Media Studies, said it would be a blow for women’s rights were the station to close.

“It’s very sad. Not only for press freedom, but also for women and children, because we need to have their voices heard and issues addressed separately,” he said.

“Women and children are often forgotten by media outlets.”

He explained the station had increased its bandwidth substantially over the years alongside growing popularity.

The previous headline for this article asserted that the station had been suspended. There has been no formal announcement to that effect. The Post apologises for any confusion caused.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro