Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Garment factory welcomes back striking workers

Garment factory welcomes back striking workers

Garment factory welcomes back striking workers

Revoking its decision to sack the vast majority of its work force for a prolonged strike, the Winson International garment factory agreed to allow the 868 workers back to work following negotiations late last month, worker representatives said yesterday.

After mediation by officials from the Ministry of Labour and the Social Affairs Ministry’s Committee for the Settlement of Strikes and Demonstrations, the factory also yielded to one of the strikers’ main demands and agreed to reinstate five union members fired late last year, said Free Trade Union (FTU) officer Ry Sithinet.

“It is unusual for a company to agree to accept back union members who were sacked, but the company agreed to this in order to end the strike,” Sithinet said, adding that FTU President Chea Mony had lobbied for the unionists’ reinstatement.

The workers, who already have returned to work, had been striking for better wages and the unionists’ reinstatement for more than a week when the factory announced on January 23 that they had been fired for failing to obey a court injunction ordering them back to work within 48 hours.

The strikers then protested being sacked without appropriate benefits until the government intervened.

One employee, Horl Ra, said yesterday that the company had cut his daily wages by 50 per cent for each day he protested but had allowed him to keep his other benefits. Discipline at the factory, however, had been stricter since the protesters returned to work, he said.

Ra said workers might strike again if the company continues to be so strict.

Kang Vannet, Winson International’s administrative manager, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

To contact the reporter on this story: Mom Kunthear at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh