AROUND 160 garment workers continued to strike yesterday outside the gates of a factory in Meanchey district, where they have camped out day and night since Thursday to agitate for improved working conditions.
Ien Pov, a union representative at the Sun Lu Fong factory, said workers had made eight demands to the factory’s management, including a request that workers receive US$80 in severance pay for every year they have worked at the factory.
“Most workers want me to continue to hold the strike after learning that the factory owner has violated their rights and the law,” he said.
But union officials and local authorities say the demands of the workers may not reflect their rights under labour laws.
Som Aun, president of the Cambodian Labour Union Confederation, said that the severance pay demand especially was a step too far.
“Their demands cannot be settled in just a short time because what they have demanded is illegal,” he said.
“This condition is not mentioned in the Cambodian Labour Law. They can receive that kind of payment only if they are fired by the factory.”
Som Aun issued a letter on Saturday calling the strike “illegal” and said that the confederation had decided in a meeting on August 16 not to sanction the strike because he wanted to meet with the factory’s management to discuss the workers’ demands.
Last week, the Arbitration Council dismissed a complaint filed in July by 160 workers from the factory, citing the illegality of the resignation clause.
“The factory will discuss their demands and try to solve the problem outside the court system if the approximately 20 percent of workers who are on strike agree to go back to work,” Som Aun said.
Sok Nan, deputy administrative director of Sun Ly Fong factory, said yesterday that fewer than 50 workers were still taking part in the strike.
“I have no idea how the factory will deal with the protesting workers, but we are not paying attention to the strike,” she said.
Meanwhile, Keo Sareoun, the chief of Chak Angre Leu commune, said authorities planned to crack down on the striking workers today.
“It is difficult for us to maintain order and safety at night when such an anarchic strike is happening,” he said. “On Monday, I will not allow them to protest in the area any longer.”
He declined to say what measures would be taken to disperse the protesters.
Ien Pov said that about 20 local police officers had already warned the protesters. “The police have told us that if we continue to protest our security cannot be guaranteed,” he said.