Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gawon strike continues

Gawon strike continues

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Workers from the First Gawon Apparel factory continue to strike. Heng Chivoan

Gawon strike continues

A Phnom Penh district authority supplied trucks for more than 100 workers from the First Gawon Apparel factory on Tuesday morning after they attempted to walk from the factory to the Ministry of Labour.

The workers were again seeking Ministry of Labour intervention in a pay dispute with the owner of the Meanchey district-based factory, who they claim owe salaries since December.

Dy Roth Khemarun, Meanchey district governor, said the authorities wouldn’t let workers walk on public roads because large groups of people in the streets would cause traffic jams and affect public order.

“While the authorities provided trucks for them, it is not going to provide them every time, but it helps to stop the workers jamming the streets,” he said.

This was the second time local authorities had arranged trucks for the workers to travel to the ministry offices.

Khem Makara, the union president of First Gawon Apparel, said: “At about 7am on Tuesday, the authorities rented two trucks to transport the workers, and the truck rental charge was paid by the authorities,” he said.

Makara added that immediately after arriving at the ministry, officials told them to choose 20 representatives to attend a meeting with the head of the dispute resolution commission.

He said: “The officials did not tell workers about the specific date in resolving this issue . . . He just said they will solve the matter very soon.”

Makara also said ministry officials told the workers they would contact the owner to confirm whether they wanted to keep the factory open. If they didn’t the ministry would prepare the procedure for closing the factory.

Workers will now have to wait until Friday to hear the response from the ministry and the committee, he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen to ‘step down’ if he loses Sam Rainsy bet over Kem Sokha

    Hun Sen has promised to step down as prime minister while opposition figure Sam Rainsy pledges to turn himself in as forfeits if the long-term political rivals lose a “bet” over the future of former opposition leader Kem Sokha, who is on bail awaiting trial

  • UAE prince seeks to invest in Cambodia

    The UAE has expressed interest in Cambodian oil and gas exploration. Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem said this was the result of his discussions with Sheikh Ahmed bin Dalmook bin Juma al-Maktoum, a member of the royal family who visited him on Wednesday.

  • Smith calls for ‘release’ of Sokha as visit ends

    At a press conference to conclude her 11-day visit to Cambodia, UN Special Rapporteur for Human Rights in Cambodia Rhona Smith on Thursday called for treason charges against former opposition leader Kem Sokha to be dropped and for him to be released from “restricted detention”.

  • PM denies ‘nepotism’ claims

    Prime minister Hun Sen denied on Thursday that nepotism was involved in the recent promotions of the children of senior government officials. He said they had been “trained” and were entirely capable of carrying out their duties while being open to “punishment” like anyone else.