Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - GDP stays in election race

GDP stays in election race

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Grassroots Democratic Party launched its election campaign in earnest on Tuesday in the capital. Pha Lina

GDP stays in election race

The Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) has turned back from its earlier warning that it could withdraw from participating in the July 29 national elections, it announced on Sunday.

The party said it made the decision as the atmosphere of resistance from the Kingdom’s authorities had decreased.

The GDP’s leaders had earlier said their activists felt threatened in many cases over run-ins with law enforcement officials and claimed they had been unfairly treated.

However, kicking off a party parade in the capital, the GDP’s prime ministerial candidate, Yang Saing Koma, told reporters that the party will “definitely” be on the ballot.

“We have decided that we will go forward. We will not withdraw from the election but will wait for the election and counting day,” he said.

Saing Koma said after the GDP’s criticisms went public, the situation improved and local police seemed more cooperative with his party.

He said a speech by Interior Minister Sar Kheng last week calling on local officials not to discriminate over political affiliations may have had something to do with the change.

“First, we had difficulties, but those difficulties have decreased ... today police are helping us from the beginning of the rally ... plus the announcement from [Interior Minister Sar Kheng] recently has helped, and we can see that they have stopped interfering with our campaign,” he said.

Saing Koma also predicted that 75 percent of the Kingdom’s 8.3 million eligible voters would show up at the polls.

Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) spokesman Sok Eysan said that the GDP leader’s comments were merely given to save face before election day.

“We think that it is just to protect their reputation because he has no hope of them winning the election,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials

  • Funcinpec ‘set to sell their headquarters’, says source

    An anonymous source from Funcinpec said acting president Prince Norodom Chakravuth had held a meeting with other officials to discuss selling several of the party headquarters across the country while the party president Prince Norodom Ranariddh receives medical treatment at the Royal Phnom Penh Hospital