Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gen Sutsakhan dies

Gen Sutsakhan dies

Gen Sutsakhan dies

G ENERAL Sak Sutsakhan, a senior army commander during the 1970-75 war against

the Khmer Rouge, died on Friday from a heart attack, a government official

said.

Deputy Information Minster Khieu Kanharith said Sutsakhan's body

was lying in state at the defence ministry. He was 68 and had been suffering

from high blood pressure, sources said.

According to historian David

Chandler in his book "The Tragedy of Cambodian History," Sutsakhan's military

career began in 1942 after he joind an elite paramilitary group known as the

"Green Shirts" - mobilized by the Japanese occupation army.

He rose to

become defence minister and deputy chief of staff in the 1970-75 Lon Nol

government.

He was regarded as one of Lon Nol's few able military

commanders and managed to escape into Thailand after the Khmer Rouge takeover in

April 1975. A Vietnamese invasion in December 1978 ousted the maoist

guerrillas.

Sutsakhan lived in exile in the US until 1981 and then

returned to the border to head the nationalist forces of Son Sann, fighting a

guerrilla war against the Hanoi-installed Heng Samrin government.

After a

policy disagreement with Son Sann in the mid 1980s, Sutsakhan formed a breakaway

faction called the Khmer Peoples National Liberation Armed

Forces.

Following the signing of the 1991 Paris Peace agreement he

entered politics by announcing the formation of the Liberal Democratic Party.

But it failed to secure a single seat in the 1993 elections.

Despite this

setback, Sutsakhan chief was appointed a military adviser to co-premiers Prince

Norodom Ranariddh and Hun Sen and was a member of King Sihanouk's military

council.

King Sihanouk described Sutsakhan as a "grand patriot" who

played an important role in the peace process. -Reuters

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia to waive quarantine requirements Nov 15, no PCR test required

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has decided to lift all quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated travellers and visitors – both Cambodians and foreign nationals – effective from November 15 onward. In a special message addressed to officials and relevant authorities on November 14, Hun Sen said this policy will enable

  • PM: No more quarantine for vaccinated travellers

    Cambodia is lifting all quarantine requirements for vaccinated inbound travellers entering Cambodia by air, waterway or land border checkpoints effective from November 15. Travellers will be required to take a rapid antigen test on arrival rather than waiting for the results of the lengthier polymerase chain

  • No payment required for travellers taking rapid Covid tests on arrival

    Ministry of Health officials said there would be no payment required for the rapid Covid-19 tests given to travellers who arrive in Cambodia from November 15 onwards after the quarantine requirement is lifted for fully vaccinated people. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told The Post on

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration