Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - General’s son sought over fraud allegations



General’s son sought over fraud allegations

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Immigration official Hem Chakrya. Photo supplied

General’s son sought over fraud allegations

Kampong Cham provincial authorities are searching for the son of a three-star general over allegations that he defrauded 31 monks and religious students of $140,000 earlier this year.

Kampong Cham Provincial Deputy Police Chief Heng Vuthy said the alleged fraudster, Colonel Hem Chakrya, works as a personal adviser to his father, Hem Theng, a deputy director and general at the Department of Immigration.

According to Vuthy, 31 people filed a complaint against Chakrya on August 25 accusing him of promising them jobs in the National Police force in exchange for $3,000 to $4,500 each.

The alleged victims also accused a monk, Seng Sary, from Norkor Bachey pagoda in Kampong Siem district, of helping Chakrya collect the money. He was arrested later that day and sent to pretrial detention on charges of being an accomplice of fraud, Vuthy said. Kampong Siem religious officials decided to defrock him the same day.

Meanwhile, Kampong Cham provincial prosecutors issued a first summons for Chakrya yesterday.

“Now judicial police are seeking the suspect Hem Chakrya in order to bring him in to clarify the case at court,” Vuthy said.

Sum Sarom, 29, from Kampong Siem district’s Koh Raka commune, said he took out a $3,000 loan based on the promise that Chakrya could find him a job in the police organisation.

“Because of our trust in the monk and powerful people who would not damage their reputation and dignity, we decided to get a loan with the hope that we will be able to get a position in National Police framework to serve the country and people,” Sarom said.

Immigration Department spokesman Kerm Sarin said yesterday the case “does not involve this institution even though [Chakrya] is one of our officials”. He added that Chakrya’s pledges were entirely fictional and that the department is not recruiting employees.

“If the court discovers that [Chakrya] made a mistake, he needs to take responsibility because the institution did not ask him to commit a crime,” Sarin said.

Hem Theng could not be reached yesterday. However, he told government-aligned media outlet Fresh News that he was not involved in his son’s alleged scam and called on the authorities to implement the law against him “without mercy”.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could