Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Genocide museum bans Pokemon Go after outcry



Genocide museum bans Pokemon Go after outcry

A Phnom Penh Post reporter views the Pokemon Go app in front of the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum earlier this week.
A Phnom Penh Post reporter views the Pokemon Go app in front of the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum earlier this week. Athena Zelandonii

Genocide museum bans Pokemon Go after outcry

The developer of the popular Pokemon Go smartphone app yesterday said they were reviewing requests to remove the collectible creatures from controversial locations around the world, but Cambodia won’t be waiting for them to take action.

Expressing outrage that the game features locations inside the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, site of a former Khmer Rouge torture facility where thousands were sent to their deaths, museum director Chhay Visoth has acted unilaterally, implementing new measures at the museum to prevent visitors from playing the game.

“I have instructed my officials to ban any visitors who come to play Pokemon,” he said yesterday. “We do not welcome this crazy game because this place is not the place to play a game.”

The developer, however, has still not provided a date for an expected removal.

“We have received requests to remove some locations,” a statement from developer Niantic read. “We are moving quickly to review all such requests.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.