A young girl has died in Kampong Chhang province’s Kampong Leng district after being struck by a wooden fan blade used to sort corn grains.
Local authorities said Siv Thav, 2, was killed instantly on Monday after the fan, being used by her parents to blow away the chaff from the corn seeds, split open her head, causing her to bleed profusely from the wound.
The victim, cremated after a funeral yesterday, had been running toward her parents when the accident occurred in Pralay Meas commune’s Koh Russei village, said village chief Nget Sroy.
“The victim was hit by the wing of the fan in the head on right side, the wing just broke the skull and caused the victim to convulse and die at the site,” Sroy said.
The victim’s mother Preun Tha, 27, and two aunts fainted upon seeing the incident while father Preun Tha, 32, cradled his daughter and screamed for help, Sroy said.
Chan Savoeun, Pralay Meas commune police chief, said the accident served as a lesson for parents to remain vigilant about young children’s safety.