Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government establishes working group to tackle faintings




Government establishes working group to tackle faintings

Victims are carried to an ambulance after a mass fainting in Takeo last week. A new working group has been created to tackle the issue of mass fainting. Photo supplied
Victims are carried to an ambulance after a mass fainting in Takeo last week. A new working group has been created to tackle the issue of mass fainting. Photo supplied

Government establishes working group to tackle faintings

Health Minister Mam Bun Heng yesterday announced the formation of a working group to address mass fainting, a day after the premier raised the issue at a meeting with garment workers, though relevant officials had few details on the group’s objectives.

Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday told garment workers in Phnom Penh that more research was needed into mass fainting incidents at factories.

Bun Heng yesterday told government mouthpiece Fresh News that a working group was created under the leadership of Health Ministry Secretary of State Eng Huot, along with the Labour Ministry and World Health Organisation.

He directed queries to ministry spokesman Ly Sovann, who said he only knew of the group’s creation from local media.

“I am not aware of this. I know it through Fresh News too. The purpose to create this group is to find the reason of fainting that happens to the workers,” he said.

Labour Ministry spokesman Heng Sour only confirmed creation of an inter-ministerial group that may also include NGOs, and the WHO could not provide a response yesterday.

In his speech on Wednesday, the premier referred to a pill or “candy” as a potential panacea – claiming workers could take it to protect themselves from fainting after inhaling toxic fumes. He claimed to have used it when he was in the armed forces to neutralise the effect of chemical weapons.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that