Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government logging ban approved to foil "rouges"



Government logging ban approved to foil "rouges"

Government logging ban approved to foil "rouges"

T he government has ordered more action against illegal logging in Koh Kong province in southwest Cambodia.

In a bid to stamp out environmental damage from illegal logging, the Council of Ministers decided on a partial logging ban on Dec 26.

The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fishery, in cooperation with the Defense and Interior Ministries, would be responsible for stopping logging, a government statement said.

The ban on logging would come into effect on Dec 31. The export of logs already cut would be allowed to continue until April 30, when all exporting would also be banned.

Minister of Agriculture Tao Seng Huor said illegal logging in Koh Kong was being done by "armed men" - rogue Royal Cambodian Armed Forces soldiers or Khmer Rouge guerrillas.

A similar moratorium would be considered in the near future for Stoeng Treng and Kratie provinces, which had similar problems, he said.

The government would, however, continue to allow limited foreign investment in the logging industry in other provinces and some areas of Koh Kong.

More than two million hectares of land had been reserved for forestry concessions to foreign companies, provided they met the government's conditions for sustainable forest management and investment in infrastructure, the minister said.

The companies included Malaysia's SAMLING firm, with whom the government had signed a memorandum of understanding for forestry concessions in Mondolkiri, Kampong Speu, Kampong Thom and Koh Kong provinces.

It has been estimated that the amount of Cambodian land covered by forest has been eroded from 70 per cent to 40 per cent since the 1970s. The Khmer Rouge, strongest among northern and western parts of the country, have been blamed for much illegal logging.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting