Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government readying 80,000 security forces for July election



Government readying 80,000 security forces for July election

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Military troop carriers parked near a polling station in Ta Siem commune were soldiers were trucked in to vote in last year's local elections. The government has announced it will deploy 80,000 security personnel for this year's ballot. Shaun Turton

Government readying 80,000 security forces for July election

Some 80,000 security personnel will be deployed for July’s upcoming national election, including a volunteer “citizen” force, raising concerns from election and rights observers about possible voter intimidation.

State newswire AKP reported the numbers on Thursday, writing that the forces “will be deployed to ensure security and public order”.

The number marks a notable rise on the 50,000 personnel deployed for the commune elections, and the 70,000 deployed for the 2013 national election.

Of the total, 20,000 will be made up of “citizen forces” selected by the ruling party, according to election expert Yoeurng Sotheara.

In an interview Thursday, Sotheara said the number of security personnel was “unbelievable” and a “waste [of] a lot of money” and did not reflect the government’s claims that Cambodia is “a peaceful country with political stability”.

According to Sotheara, the citizen forces – also known as village security guards – are selected by village chiefs and therefore potentially prone to political bias.

Due to the voluntary nature of the position, they also may “not be well-trained” on human rights obligations and political neutrality. Chak Sopheap, director of the Cambodian Centre for Human Rights, echoed this concern in an email, calling for “stringent training” and doing away with the use of citizen forces.

“Not only are they not properly trained to act as security forces, which opens the door to potential human rights abuses; this would also contribute to the existing atmosphere of mass surveillance,” she said.

More important than physical security, she said, is protecting Cambodians’ “security to freely exercise their fundamental human rights”.

Dim Sovannarom, a spokesman for the NEC, declined to comment, directing questions to the National Police. Police spokesman Kirth Chantharith – who is presiding over a three-day training session this week for security forces – could not be reached.

A Post investigation in 2017 found that troops, who are allowed to register to vote where they are deployed, arrived en masse in certain hotly contested communes before the local elections, likely swinging the vote in the ruling party's favour in some areas.

Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak told pro-government outlet Fresh News on Thursday that the ministry is prepared to deal with any “chaos” related to the elections caused by former opposition leader Sam Rainsy or his supporters.

Rainsy has called for election boycotts, a stance he reiterated in Japan last week. Calling the election “meaningless” without the presence of the Cambodia National Rescue Party, which was forcibly dissolved at the government's behest in November, he appealed to voters to abstain in order to undermine Prime Minister Hun Sen’s legitimacy.

While Rainsy has dangled the possibility of calling for protests, there has been no evidence there will be any attempt at mobilisation during the election. He did not respond to requests for comment on Thursday.

Mu Sochua, a former CNRP vice president, said Thursday that if the party is not reinstated then the opposition will formally call for a boycott of the elections, which would precede any talk of protests.

Prime Minister Hun Sen himself took to Facebook on Thursday to trumpet the importance of peace and security, which he has maintained can only exist under his watch. He praised his negotiations with the remnants of the Khmer Rouge in the 1990s, saying that doing so stopped “chronic war”.

“At the time, my aunt asked me: When you go into the Khmer Rouge zone, aren't you afraid of being shot dead? I replied: ‘If I died, it would only be me and those who went with me [who died]. But if I returned, I would get [peace] for all the land. It is true, from then until now, Cambodian territory has national unity for 20 years,” he said.

“At all costs, we together must protect peace.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and