Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government seizes fake foreigner docs




Government seizes fake foreigner docs

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Interior Ministry holds a meeting aimed at addressing issues surrounding immigration on Monday. It was chaired by Secretary of State Sok Phal. Photo supplied

Government seizes fake foreigner docs

The Ministry of Interior’s top brass on Monday said the government confiscated 30,000 “illegitimate administrative documents” belonging to foreigners from 10 countries throughout last year, with Vietnamese making up 90 per cent of the figure.

Kirth Chantharith, the ministry’s General Immigration Department director-general, said the seized documents included family books, residence books, identity cards, birth certificates and passports.

The statement was made during a meeting held at the Interior Ministry and chaired by Secretary of State Sok Phal aimed at addressing issues surrounding immigration.

Chanthartith said the government will continue to seize fake or illegitimate documents belonging to immigrants in a crackdown set to last for the next six months.

“There were about 3,000 people deported last year. If we count from 2014, the number stands at about 15,000 citizens from many countries,” he said.

Most of last year’s deportees, Chantharith added, were Vietnamese, Chinese and Nigerians.

“The majority of them [Vietnamese, Chinese and Nigerians] were involved in Voice over Internet Protocol-related crimes. But other foreigners from 40 other nationalities were also expelled from Cambodia,” he said.

Adhoc senior human rights investigator Soeung Sen Karuna suspected there is collusion amongst government officials in issuing national documents to foreign nationals who do not meet the requirements and procedures stipulated under the Kingdom’s Law on Nationality.

He urged tough measures against violators on both sides, saying: “Forging national documents is a crime. If we do not take prohibitive measures, more problems will arise. Those issuing the documents should also be held accountable. This sort of problem has occurred far too often and it has become the new normal.”

In August 2017, the government also issued a directive ordering the elimination and withdrawal of illegitimate national administrative documents held by foreigners.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that