Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government set to send back group of Montagnards

Government set to send back group of Montagnards

Police vehicles sit outside a house where Montagnard asylum seekers have been staying in Phnom Penh. Post staff
Police vehicles sit outside a house where Montagnard asylum seekers have been staying in Phnom Penh. Post staff

Government set to send back group of Montagnards

The Cambodian government is set to return a group of Montagnard refugees to Vietnam today after rejecting their claims for asylum, the UN refugee agency has confirmed.

The 13 are part of the more than 200 Montagnards – a mostly Christian minority from Vietnam’s central highlands – who fled to Cambodia in 2014 and 2015. Only a handful now remain in Phnom Penh.

“UNHCR will facilitate the return of these rejected asylum-seekers to Viet Nam on a voluntary basis – as we have done for more than 120 Montagnard asylum-seekers since July 2015,” said spokesperson Vivian Tan in an email. “In general, we do not intervene with asylum cases unless we disagree with the decisions.”

The Cambodian government granted refugee status to an initial 13 Montagnards, who were sent to the Philippines, but since then authorities have deemed three to be refugees.

A further 50 Montagnards fled Cambodia for Thailand in April. Since then, Montagnards have been returned “voluntarily” in small groups to Vietnam.

However, Grace Bui, of the Montagnard Assistance Project, questioned whether they were truly “volunteers”.

“We heard from a couple of them before – they are being watched 24 hours, they can’t go anywhere,” Bui said, adding that others had been arrested.

“I thought the UN was going to fight for them, but I guess not,” Bui said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will