Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government to spend $4 million on Lased II



Government to spend $4 million on Lased II

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Land Allocation for Social and Economic Development Project Phase II (Lased II) is set to benefit almost 600 families in Prasat Balang district’s Doung commune in Kampong Thom province. Photo supplied

Government to spend $4 million on Lased II

The government will spend some $4 million on the Land Allocation for Social and Economic Development Project Phase II (Lased II) to benefit almost 600 families in Prasat Balang district’s Doung commune in Kampong Thom province.

The land allocation is aimed at alleviating poverty in five northeastern provinces, easing the hardships of the homeless, and providing 18,000 families with agricultural land, said Dok Doma, the director of Lased II.

Kampong Thom provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post on Wednesday that Lased II has received loans from the World Bank, with the government leading it’s roll out nationwide.

“This national project with $4 million loans is being used to develop Doung commune. However, any infrastructure development such as roads, schools and hospitals are directly run by the national team,” Lou said.

He said 500 out of 600 families living in Prasat Balang district have already signed a contract to receive land for farming and cultivation through Lased II.

Lou continued that as part of the project, the government has provided residents with seeds and agricultural instruments, as well as built infrastructure in the area to improve the standard of living.

“All citizens obtained 30m by 40m of land to live on and 2ha of agricultural land for each family. The citizens receiving this social land concession are very poor and do not currently have any land for their livelihoods,” he said.

Nuon Kumnit, chief of staff at Prasat Balang district police, said people in her district are delighted to receive the land and she believes it will reduce the number of Cambodians going abroad to work.

“Previously, the people’s living standards in this district were very low since they did not own land for building a house and planting crops. However, after getting this social land concession, they seem to be very happy,” she said.

Doung commune chief Chun Chen said 600 poor families have so far received land concessions as part of the Lased II, while a further 551 families have signed a contract for obtaining land.

“Citizens here are farmers, but most lack land and some do not possess any land at all. This project has had a very positive impact on their living conditions, and they are now very happy and are staying focused on planting some crops,” he said.

In July, The Post reported that the government is due to launch Lased III from 2020-2025 to the tune of $60 to $90 million.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said