Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government takes back Koh Kong mangrove forest; no arrests



Government takes back Koh Kong mangrove forest; no arrests

Three hectares of mangrove forest inside Koh Kong’s Peam Krasaop Wildlife Sanctuary that were filled in illegally with sand. The government has now reclaimed a total of 13 hectares of mangrove forest in the area as state property. Photo supplied
Three hectares of mangrove forest inside Koh Kong’s Peam Krasaop Wildlife Sanctuary that were filled in illegally with sand. The government has now reclaimed a total of 13 hectares of mangrove forest in the area as state property. Photo supplied

Government takes back Koh Kong mangrove forest; no arrests

The Cambodian government has reclaimed 13 hectares of protected mangrove forest in Koh Kong province, which were illegally sold off to a tycoon and partially filled with sand, though nobody involved in the sale will be sent to court.

According to an announcement from the Council of Ministers, dated March 9, the government is “seizing” as state property 13.39 hectares, which were “possessed by Sok Kimhong and Meas Sivchou”.

It does not mention Oknha Chea Leanghong, who purchased the land from Kimhong and Sivchou in March 2017, or local authorities who signed off on the sale. Former Stung Veng Village Chief Chhung Thavon and former Stung Veng Commune Chief Khung Vichhean approved the sale, according to a copy of the contract obtained by The Post last month.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan denied that the government was attempting to protect those involved in the sale, but referred further questions to the responsible ministry. “We don’t protect anyone,” he said.

“We don’t honour, we don’t allow anyone to sell from hand-to-hand,” he said. “It’s illegal.”

Srun Darith, cabinet director for the Ministry of Environment, said about two of the more than three hectares of mangrove forest filled in with sand were part of a “community zone” inside the Peam Krasaop Wildlife Sanctuary where villagers could farm, with the rest having a higher degree of protection. He said he was unaware the land had been sold to Leanghong and maintained the filling hadn’t resulted in serious damage, which was why the case would not be forwarded to the court.

“We just confiscate it … We do not have legal measures in addition to educating them,” he said. “The law enforcement does not mean that we need to jail the people … But if it is serious, the case will go to court.”

Article 62 of the 2008 Law on Protected Areas states that clearing or encroachment on forestland to “claim ownership” and filling in soil “on land or water area without permit” carries a punishment of up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $37,500.

Alex Gonzalez-Davidson, co-founder of the NGO Mother Nature, said the “government would never dare do anything that might affect the reputation of well-connected tycoons, such as Chea [Leanghong], let alone order the courts to mount an investigation”.

“I find particularly abhorrent the fact that this is happening while activists are jailed for months under horrible conditions for simply monitoring environmental destruction.”

Gonzalez-Davidson said he didn’t foresee the Ministry of Environment doing anything to restore the area, so Mother Nature would organise an event aiming to do so.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration