Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government targets toddlers with shots plan

Government targets toddlers with shots plan

Government targets toddlers with shots plan

Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng unveiled plans to introduce a second dose of measles immunisation for children aged 18 to 23 months during a launch ceremony in Siem Reap town yesterday.

The vaccine is intended to follow the one children currently are to receive at nine months of age and will provide a higher degree of protection, Sann Chan Soeung, National Immunisation Program director, said yesterday.

The ministry will make the vaccine available at health centres countrywide and conduct an outreach campaign aimed at parents of newborns, he added.

The disease, which disproportionately affects high-risk populations such as the urban poor, places a “significant burden” on the nation’s health system, World Health Organization technical officer Richard Duncan said yesterday, but it is entirely preventable.

Outbreaks occurred in 2010 and 2011, but following campaigns to combat the disease, there have been no reported cases since November, putting Cambodia on track to meet its goal of eliminating measles by year’s end, Duncan added.

To contact the reporter on this story: Thik Kaliyann at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not