Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government, UN talk ECCC’s funding woes

Government, UN talk ECCC’s funding woes

Government, UN talk ECCC’s funding woes

KRTalk logo

Senior United Nations and Cambodian government officials met in Phnom Penh yesterday to discuss the state of a court sinking under the pressure of funding shortages, strikes and fears of justice denied following the death of 87-year-old defendant Ieng Sary.

At the centre of the discussion were David Scheffer, the UN special expert on the Khmer Rouge tribunal, and Deputy Prime Minister Sok An.

Scheffer and a spokesman for the Council of Ministers were, however, tight-lipped about details of the meet. No ideas were floated on how the Cambodian government could fill a $7 million shortfall in the national side of this year’s budget. No strategy was announced for how the trial could proceed, in the words of a statement released yesterday, “as expeditiously as possible with fair, efficient, and properly funded trial proceedings of the two remaining defendants”.

By email, Scheffer said he was “busy with meetings”, and said only: “We had frank and constructive discussions, and we continue to work together to find solutions to ensure that the ECCC continue its important work.”

Ek Tha, a spokesman for the Council of Ministers’ Press & Quick Reaction Unit, pointed to the public statement, which said that the death of Sary on March 14, the budget problems and the advanced age of the two remaining defendants “compel immediate attention by all stakeholders”.

After Sary’s death, the Trial Chamber terminated proceedings against him, handing over his body to family members, who will cremate him today.  

The statement also said that Sok An expressed his appreciation for the commitment of national side staffers who have gone without pay for three months, a situation that caused the court’s first strike earlier this month, when translators and interpreters refused to do their jobs. Though they returned to work on Monday, with promises of being paid this week, one staffer speaking on the condition of anonymity yesterday said that salaries had not been disbursed yet.

MOST VIEWED

  • Research key to Kanitha’s rep for expertise

    Sok Kanitha is used to weighing in on controversial issues using a confident approach that signals expertise and authority, and a recent video she made was no exception. Her “Episode 342: The History of NATO” video went live on January 16, 2023 and immediately shot to 30,000 likes and 3,500

  • Cambodia maintains 'Kun Khmer' stance despite Thailand’s boycott threat

    Cambodia has taken the position that it will use the term "Kun Khmer" to refer to the sport of kickboxing at the upcoming Southeast Asian (SEA) Games, and has removed the term Muay from all references to the sport. Despite strong reactions from the Thai

  • Knockout! Kun Khmer replaces ‘Muay’ for Phnom Penh Games

    Cambodia has decided to officially remove the word Muay from the programme of the 32nd Southeast Asian (SEA) Games 2023 in May. “Kun Khmer” will instead be used to represent the Southeast Asian sport of kickboxing, in accordance with the wishes of the Cambodian people. Vath

  • Artificial insemination takes herd from 7 to 700

    Some farms breed local cows or even import bulls from a broad for the purpose of breeding heavier livestock for meat production. One Tbong Khnum farmer has found a more efficient way. Hout Leang employs artificial insemination to fertilise local cows. Thanks to imported “straws”

  • New int’l airport nearly half complete as travel industry returns to life

    Construction of a new airport that is slated to serve the capital has passed the 43 per cent completion mark, raising prospects for a proper recovery in the civil aviation and tourism sectors as international travellers return to the Kingdom in increasingly large numbers. The figure

  • Chinese group tours return to Cambodia starting Feb 6

    Cambodia is among 20 countries selected by Beijing for a pilot programme allowing travel agencies to provide international group tours as well as flight and hotel packages to Chinese citizens, following a three-year ban. As the days tick down until the programme kicks off on February 6,