Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government will shut eateries without proper hygiene

Government will shut eateries without proper hygiene

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Rady Khim dishes out a scoop of red rice behind the counter of her eatery, Happy Dragon Farm, last year. The Ministry of Tourism warns that it will revoke the licences of eateries that cater to tourists if found without a proper hygiene certificate. QUINN LIBSON

Government will shut eateries without proper hygiene

The Ministry of Tourism has warned that it will revoke the licences of eateries that cater to tourists if they are found without a hygiene certificate from the Ministry of Health or provincial health departments.

A directive signed by Minister of Tourism Thong Khon on Friday confirmed the matter. Consequently, the ministry said: “No entity can run a business in the sector with the absence of an operating licence from the Ministry of Tourism.”

The same directive indicated that some tourist establishments are still failing to fulfil their obligations in acquiring an operating licence, let alone a hygiene certificate from the ministry or a provincial health department.

Complying with regulations

Ministry of Tourism spokesman Tith Chantha could not be reached for additional comment on Tuesday.

Preah Sihanouk provincial tourism department director Taing Sochet Kresna said on Tuesday that all major resorts and eateries in his jurisdiction “have complied with the regulations set by the ministry and the provincial tourism department in regard to food safety and hygiene”.

However, he said small businesses haven’t done so as “it is difficult for them”.

“We see that they [business owners] have begun to understand and take part in collective efforts to strengthen food safety,” he said.

Sun Sok Kanha, the general manager of Happiness Water Park Resort located in Battambang province, which focuses mainly on selling Khmer food, said her establishment complies with the law.

She said her resort had obtained the necessary permits from the relevant authorities before operations started.

“Food safety is our top priority. We uphold high standards of hygiene as per instructions from the tourism department,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for