Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t cancels public claims of ownership in sanctuary



Gov’t cancels public claims of ownership in sanctuary

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Environmental officials inspect Prey Lang Wildlife Sanctuary in Sandan district, Kampong Thom province​ in 2020. Environment Ministry

Gov’t cancels public claims of ownership in sanctuary

The government has repealed all previously issued letters certifying sales, purchases, transfers, occupation or ownership of any land within the Prey Lang Wildlife Sanctuary.

The decision was made following an investigation into land disputes between 188 families and environmental officials in Kampong Thom province.

The disputed land is located within the Tabok and Dey Krahom area of Sandan district’s Sochetr commune.

A letter from the Council of Ministers permanent secretary of state Hing Thoraksy informing the environment minister and provincial governor of the repeals was seen by The Post on January 28.

The letter said Reaksmey Khemara Party delegates had provided evidence as to the rightful owners of the land in a dispute between the 188 families and Prey Lang Wildlife Sanctuary rangers.

The letter further states that the government had allowed the provincial administration, along with the Sandan district and Sochetr commune authorities, to repeal all letters certifying the status of any land within the sanctuary.

The letter also instructed the provincial and Sandan district administrations to look into the background of Hien Toy Company to determine the identities of the owners and employees in case they are found to be encroaching on land in the sanctuary so that legal action can then be taken.

According to the letter, the environment ministry in cooperation with the provincial and district administrations has inspected the area and determined the boundaries of the disputed locations in the commune.

The letter goes on to specify that land will be allocated to those people who have been relying on it for their livelihoods or occupying it continuously for a long period of time, and new letters to certify ownership will be issued to them once the allocations are made.

Environment ministry spokesman Neth Pheaktra declined to comment on the matter.

Provincial governor Sok Lou declined to provide details, saying he had not received the directive issued by the Council of Ministers.

“I haven’t seen the letter yet so I don’t have a grip on the current situation,” he said.

Reaksmey Khemara Party vice-president Hem Braseur said now that the Council of Ministers has issued this latest directive he expects that the disputed land in the Tabok and Dey Krahom area will be returned to the families who were living on it.

“I hope that the land will be returned to the people and that no one will encroach on the land further,” he said.

Citing claims by those living in the disputed area, he said they have lived and relied on the land for their livelihoods as far back as 2007.

He said there are more than 180 families living on over 1,850ha prior to it being designated as part of the Prey Lang Wildlife Sanctuary.

“Back then, it was not yet designated a wildlife sanctuary. The people lived there and occupied the land for many years and grew cashew and rubber trees. You can see that the trees they planted have grown quite large now.

“But then the government issued a sub-decree designating the area as Prey Lang [sanctuary]. It may be marked on the map as Prey Lang, but the truth is that it isn’t a part of Prey Lang and never really was,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration