GOVERNMENT officials have again accused the Thai government and media of levelling false accusations against Cambodia, after a local newspaper reported that two Red Shirt activists suspected of bombing the headquarters of a Thai political party fled to Cambodia last week.
On Monday, The Bangkok Post quoted Benjapol Rodsawas, identified as an immigration official in Sa Kaeo province, as saying that two men – Warisaya Boonsom, 42, and Kobchai Boonplod, 41 – crossed the border into Cambodia last Wednesday following the bombing of the headquarters of the Bhumjaithai Party in Bangkok the day before.
In a statement issued Monday, the Press and Quick Reaction Unit at the Council of Ministers said there was no evidence the men had entered Cambodia. The statement also called on the Thai government to end what it described as a “malicious campaign to fault Cambodia” and draw Cambodia into Thailand’s “unending internal squabbles”, which it said have brought Thailand close to “falling into the predicament of a failed state”.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Koy Kuong said Monday that the allegations were “stupid”.
“Cambodia completely denies this kind of provocative information,” he said. “If Thai immigration police found them entering Cambodia, why didn’t they arrest them?”
The denial is the latest in a series of statements accusing the Thai media of making inaccurate reports and the Thai government of fuelling them.
On June 22, the government dismissed a story published by Thai newspaper The Nation that said senior Red Shirts “are reportedly hiding in Cambodia while allegedly plotting a third Red Shirt rally and even underground operations in the coming months”.
Thani Thongpakdi, deputy spokesman for the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, could not be reached for comment on Monday.