Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t dumps waste collector Cintri

Gov’t dumps waste collector Cintri

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A Cintri garbage truck drives along the road in Phnom Penh. Hong Menea

Gov’t dumps waste collector Cintri

The government has revoked the business licence of Cintri (Cambodia) Ltd, Phnom Penh’s only waste disposal contractor, and will temporarily take over its services before putting waste disposal rights up for bidding, Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Tuesday.

The move comes after numerous complaints about the company’s quality of service – with rubbish often left uncollected for days, attracting vermin, flies and disease; blocking drains; and affecting property values as well as the environment.

The decision was announced by Hun Sen, who spoke before more than 4,000 students at a graduation ceremony in the capital.

“Letting Cintri continue [the service] is impossible. However, to avoid [the impact of] the loss of the company, the state has to spend [to make up for] it.

“The state must take over the company’s [responsibilities and replace the] workers and materials,” he said, adding that the municipal administration will assume temporary control of rubbish collection.

The government will then hold a public auction, he said, adding that this time there will be more than one companycollecting rubbish in the capital.

“We need to have at least three or four companies. We will arrange for bids, which will include Cintri. Each company will be allowed to operate in only one zone,” he said.

Phnom Penh Municipal Hall’s Waste Management and Environment managing director Nuon Samnavuth told The Post last month that the Kingdom produces more than 10,000 tonnes of waste every day, or more than 3.6 million tonnes a year.

Phnom Penh alone accounts for between 20,000 and 30,000 tonnes of waste daily, he said.

Cintri director Tuon Sipheng and vice-director Seng Sorida declined to comment on the government’s decision.

Phnom Penh Municipal Hall spokesman Met Meas Pheakdey told The Post on Tuesday that following the announcement by the prime minister, the administration would hold a meeting to discuss the issue.

“We will prepare the procedure and seek partners apart from Cintri to invest in waste collection as the prime minister had instructed,” he said.

Transparency International Cambodia senior programme director Pech Pisey hailed the government’s move.

However, he said the auction has to be public and transparent to give capable companies the opportunity for administrative rights to waste disposal.

“We have to give competent companies the right to put [their names] in a closed envelope and have a commission review and assess their applications.

“This will ensure that they applied based on their capabilities and not because of links to high-ranking officials,” he said.

The Post previously reported that in 2017, Cintri employed some 1,500 workers and was equipped primarily with trucks and pushcarts to collect the mountains of trash on the streets.

The firm has been the only waste management company operating in Phnom Penh since 2002 – when it was given an exclusive 47-year contract.

MOST VIEWED

  • Draft law on state of emergency pending finalisation

    Prime Minister Hun Sen will lead a top-level meeting on Tuesdays to review the draft law on imposing a state of emergency. Meantime, he has decided to close all casinos in Cambodia effective April 1. In the press conference after the National Assembly met today, Hun

  • State of emergency on table amid pandemic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen, his deputy prime ministers and legal team will meet on Tuesday to review the draft law on declaring a state of emergency, as Covid-19 cases rose to 107 in the Kingdom on Monday. Speaking at a press conference after a parliament meeting

  • Stranded passengers petition UK for help

    Some 10,521 people have signed an online petition calling on British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and relevant officials to fly nearly 200 passengers out of Cambodia. The petition is targeted at 15,000 people. Most of the passengers are British nationals, who are stranded in Cambodia after airlines cancelled

  • Covid-19 Pandemic: Force majeure and legal consequences

    Is the Covid-19 pandemic considered an event of force majeure? The World Health Organisation declared the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak a pandemic on March 11. Following this declaration, the Ministry of Health and other ministries have taken various legal and administrative measures to prevent the rapid

  • Many in limbo as tension heightens

    As the Kingdom restricts travel and prepares for a state of emergency, some foreigners in Cambodia are scrambling for a way home. Foreign embassies in Phnom Penh are making efforts to get their citizens out, but cancelled flights have become common due to the coronavirus

  • PM set to mend ties with US

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has responded to US Congressman Ted Yoho, saying he is ready to improve Cambodia-US relations, and not take up issues of disagreements which have become a barrier between the two countries’ bilateral cooperation. His response to Yoho came after the congressman