Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t: move to revoke improper documents nearing conclusion

Gov’t: move to revoke improper documents nearing conclusion

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Vietnamese immigrants assemble at a documentation centre earlier this year. fresh news

Gov’t: move to revoke improper documents nearing conclusion

The General Immigration Department said that the program to revoke official documents that were not properly issued, to mostly 70,000 ethnic Vietnamese, was about 70 per cent complete.

Khun Sambo, deputy director general of the department, which is under the Ministry of Interior, said it is yet to complete the exercise to flush out illegal documentation among foreign nationals. The drive, he said, will continue until the end of this year.

“We have not calculated exactly how many cases have been completed so far. We will have a meeting on August 15 to check how many provinces have completed the exercise. The program will continue until the end of the year,” he said.

Sambo said individuals whose documents were revoked need to apply for a residency permit. A two-year permit will cost 250,000 riel ($62.50).

“We are not sure how many will request for the residency permit nationwide,” he said.

A sub-decree passed in August last year allows the authorities to cancel documents such as identity cards, passports and family books (which contains family members’ details) – effectively revoking citizenship from thousands of migrants.

Hundreds of Vietnamese in Kampong Chhnang province are rushing to make the residency card. Kampong Chhnang provincial deputy police chief in charge of immigration, Pal South, declined to comment on the issue.

Local media had reported that 2,034 Vietnamese families live in the province. Most of them are living in Tolesap, including 755 families in Kampong Chhnang town, 806 in Boribor district, and the rest in Kampong Tralach district.

The government plans to issue a two-year residency permit to ethnic Vietnamese who can prove they arrived in Cambodia before 2012.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges