Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Govt repulses KR push near Sisophon

Govt repulses KR push near Sisophon

Govt repulses KR push near Sisophon

ROYAL Government forces repelled a major Khmer Rouge attack just outside

Sisophon along Route 5 on June 7, with observers describing the six-hours of

artillery exchanges as the most intense since 1989.

The RCAF got advance

intelligence of the attack and were able to get tanks in position to halt the

night time raid.

There were no civilian casualties though KR motar shells

were lobbed at Sisophon. Some houses were burnt along Route 5, according to a

diplomatic source.

The source said: "The RCAF showed its fighting to

capacity by halting the attack and has renewed the confidence of the civilian

populace in them."

Accurate casualty reports have yet to emerge though

the RCAF said their intense artillery barrages wounded large numbers of

guerrillas, who mounted their attack from Bavel. Meanwhile international aid

agency sources reported an increase in the number of taxis making the trip along

Route 5 from Sisophon to the market town of Poipet, though the border crossing

to Thailand has yet to re-open.

A Western military analyst said a force

of 500 KR fighters was planning to attack the border checkpoint at Arn Ses and

the district capital of Choam Khsan in Preah Vihear province. Choam Khsan has

been cut off for months by road from the provincial capital of T'beng

Meanchey.

The source also said that the notorious Gen Ta Mok, known as

the one-legged butcher, has taken over operations in Siem Reap

province.

KR guerrillas fought an overnight battle with government forces

on June 5 along Route 6 for two bridges and succeeded in blowing up another

bridge west of Puok in Siem Reap province.

Other government reports put

the total of KR fighters killed during May at 286, with two tanks being captured

and another two destroyed. No figures were available for government casualties

but independent observers say four RCAF soldiers die for every six KR guerrillas

killed.

Fighting has been reported in Kampot province and a relief worker

reported that Krang Leav, the Khmer Rouge village where US hostage Melissa

Himes, held had been bombed. Apparently it was a calculated revenge attack.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh