Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Govt sells Samart stake



Govt sells Samart stake

Govt sells Samart stake

THE Ministry of Post and Telecommunications (MPTC) has relinquished its 30 per cent

interest in Cambodia Samart Communication, allowing it to be fully taken over by

Thailand's Samart Corp.

Secretary of State So Khun and Samart's Chief Executive Char-oenrath Vilailuck inked

a 25-year extension contract last week.

"By doing this, we allow Samart to expand their network nationwide rather than

in selected provinces," So Khun said, adding that in the near future Samart

will introduce global system mobile (GSM).

From now, Cambodia Samart will operate for 32 years instead of its original 10 year

contract awarded in 1992. Under the old accord, MPTC had a 30 percent in Cambodia

Samart.

Khun said that the new agreement required Cambodia Samart to pay to Cambodia 7 per

cent of its gross revenue for the first three years, 12 percent for the following

three years and 15 percent until the contract expires. The contract was renewable,

pending discussion between MPTC and the company, he said.

The company has invested $15 million since 1992 and intends spending a further $20

million over the next year on equipment and improving the system.

It said its plans included leasing headquarters in Phnom Penh and changing from satellite

to microwave transmission to improve communication capacity and increase voice transmission

in Kompong Som, Siem Reap and Battambang provinces.

In addition to the three provinces, Samart mobile phones also operates in Kompong

Cham and the company is considering hooking Kampot and Koh Kong provinces by late

June and July. Two more base stations in Svay Rieng and Takeo will be added.

Khun said that the Thai-own company currently had nearly 10,000 subscribers or 65

percent of the Cambodian hand-phone market.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese