Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t shells out $100 million for suspended workers, re-training



Gov’t shells out $100 million for suspended workers, re-training

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
From February 14 to June 9, a total of 324 factories, which employ 193,924 workers, suspended operations for 14 to 60 days. Hong Menea

Gov’t shells out $100 million for suspended workers, re-training

The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has allocated $60 million to $100 million for suspended workers and re-training programmes as part of its Covid-19 stimulus plan.

Ministry spokesperson Heng Sour told The Post on Wednesday that 87,647 workers have become unemployed following the closure of 199 factories.

From February 14 to June 9, a total of 324 factories, which employ 193,924 workers, suspended operations for 14 to 60 days. However, more than 50 per cent of employees have returned to work.

“As of June 10, the government has spent 11 billion riel [$2.7 million] as compensation for 126,457 workers. Together with the Ministry of Economy and Finance, we are preparing the [next round of] allocation for workers who submitted their application,” Sour said.

Last month, the government said more than 17,000 suspended workers in the garment and tourism sectors had been identified to receive allocations in the fourth round of subsidies.

In the first round, 33,231 workers from 111 factories received compensation, followed by 25,588 workers (67 factories) in the second round and 49,960 workers (165 factories) in the third round.

Workers were paid in riel and based on the number of days they were suspended.

For example, 61,750 riel ($15) was disbursed to each worker whose employment contract was suspended for seven to 10 days, 123,000 riel ($30) for 11 to 20 days, and 164,000 riel ($40) for 21 days to a month.

Centre for Alliance of Labour and Human Rights programme coordinator Khun Tharo told The Post on Wednesday that the government should have clear policies to ease lending terms by microfinance institutions in order to reduce the debt burden on workers directly affected by the suspension.

“One of the important measures is to ease their burden so they can pay utility bills and rent. If there is an adjustment or discounts to utility bills, and a compromise from the landlord to reduce the rent then it can help workers,” Tharo said.

Besides the garment and tourism sectors, the government should also cover other vulnerable sectors such as the construction sector because many workers have lost their jobs and they do not have social protection.

“The informal economy, as well as the service sector, especially the small-and medium-sized restaurants are equally at risk,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • ‘No chance Cambodia booted out of ASEAN’

    A group of former and current Cambodian diplomats on Tuesday fired back at retired Singaporean diplomat Bihalari Kausikan after he proposed that ASEAN dismiss Cambodia and Laos from the bloc. In an open letter, the Cambodian diplomats said Kausikan’s remarks were made from a

  • Woman seeks answers after arrest of American partner

    Filipina Lalaine de Guzman, 48, is demanding answers for the detention of her American partner by Cambodian immigration officers after he was arrested at their home almost 90 days ago. She said without an arrest warrant or proffering any criminal charges, Stephen Sidney Greatsinger, 56, is being detained

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital