Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t studies land service provision via one-window



Gov’t studies land service provision via one-window

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Minister of Interior Sar Kheng. Hong Menea

Gov’t studies land service provision via one-window

The Ministry of Interior has launched a study on land service provision via the one-window service at select locations in the Kingdom. The move is to enhance people’s access to government services.

The ministry’s director-general Prak Samoeun said it decided to conduct the study in the capital and in Kandal, Kampong Cham and Siem Reap provinces.

An inter-ministerial working group on Thursday met with Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng to discuss the study’s execution in the capital, said Samoeun.

Plans to discuss the project with the three provincial governors to assess its viability in their localities are also underway.

“We decided to study the process to provide land services at the sub-national level. It is a reform that aims to enhance access and quality of government services for the people.

“Currently, the procedures involved in providing land services are difficult and complicated, thus drawing public dissatisfaction,” he said.

Samoeun said as per the new plan, the transfer of land ownership and land registration will be two separate processes.

Regarding the assessment, Samoeun said the land sector in the capital and the three provinces have shown remarkable progress. If it continues, the same practices will be applied to other provinces.

Local media Fresh News last week quoted Sreng expressing his support for the reform because it helped ease the difficulties between the service provider and recipient.

Sreng also noted that citizens had previously supported the service in the capital, though the government had encountered some problems due to the incomplete submission of documents.

People were said to have applied for land service without sufficient evidence to support their cases, such as the lack of documents proving property ownership, lack of thumbprints and submission of questionable papers.

Affiliated Network for Social Accountability executive director San Chey supported the move, saying that a series of previous government initiatives lacked the comprehensive assessment of relevant parties.

To strengthen the initiative, he said it would have to be assessed by experts and civil society organisations as well.

“This initiative is not bad. But for it to be great, it needs to be discussed with experts in the field as well. The principle of public service is to meet the people’s needs, not to satisfy the whims of those in power,” said Chey.

Phnom Penh Municipal Hall spokesman Met Meas Pheakdey could not be reached for comment on Sunday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through