Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Govt to sue telecoms firms for $8m

Govt to sue telecoms firms for $8m

Govt to sue telecoms firms for $8m

The Cambodian government has lodged a lawsuit against the world's largest telecoms

company AT&T and two smaller firms in an action to recover more than $8 million

in compensation.

Lam Phu An, secretary of state at the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications (MPT),

hoped the court would hear the case at the end of September.

"We submitted it last month," he said. "There is $8 million outstanding,

excluding interest and other costs. [AT&T] must take responsibility."

The case, which will be heard by the New York Supreme Court, cites breaches of contract,

good faith and fair dealing as grounds for the action. The complaint has also been

lodged against two Chilean telecoms firms, Globus and Chilesat.

The court docket notes that the ministry entered into an agreement with AT&T

in 1992. Under the terms of that arrangement, AT&T paid for calls made from the

US to Cambodia. However the suit alleged that while more than 13 million call minutes

were made, AT&T paid for only 4.2 million.

The government had no luck, said Phu An, when its officials contacted AT&T to

query the discrepancy.

"AT&T initially did not disclose why there was so much traffic," he

said. "It was more then half a year before they told us."

The suit alleges that AT&T later stated the difference between the two figures

was due to transit traffic from Chile. Cambodia replied that it had not agreed to

receive any such calls via Chile, had not been informed of the move, and had not

received payment for the calls.

The lawsuit noted that AT&T's lack of disclosure about the transit traffic through

Chile was in violation of the agreement between the US firm and Cambodia.

"The Chilean companies told AT&T they had an agreement with us," said

Phu An. "But the Chilean companies had never contacted us."

In May 2000, the MPT demanded payment for the calls coming through Chile and requested

that AT&T stop directing calls through Chile. But the company did not respond,

the outstanding $8 million was not paid, and call traffic from the Chilean companies

continued.

"AT&T said it wasn't their problem and told us that we had to ask the Chilean

carriers for the money," said Phu An. Further attempts by the MPT to contact

the Chileans then failed to produce any response or payment.

Emailed requests by the Post to AT&T's public relations department went unanswered.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The