Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t to suspend Philippine flights as Covid cases up




Gov’t to suspend Philippine flights as Covid cases up

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Airplanes parked at Phnom Penh International Airport last year. The government will temporarily suspend flights from the Philippines starting Thursday after 13 passengers arriving from the ASEAN country tested positive for Covid-19 on Sunday. Heng Chivoan

Gov’t to suspend Philippine flights as Covid cases up

The government will temporarily suspend flights from the Philippines starting Thursday after 13 passengers arriving from the ASEAN country tested positive for Covid-19 on Sunday.

On Tuesday, the Ministry of Health reported 15 new imported Covid-19 cases, with the other two patients arriving from the US via Taiwan.

A ministry press release on Tuesday said Prime Minister Hun Sen had decided to temporarily suspend flights from the Philippines because among ASEAN members, no country has recorded more Covid-19 infections.

On Monday, the Philippine Ministry of Health reported 6,958 new cases, the highest number of daily cases to be recorded by the country. It brought the total number of cases to 136,638. The Philippines also recorded 24 deaths due to Covid-19 on Monday, bringing the total number of fatalities to 2,293.

The country’s capital, Manila, and its surrounding areas have been closed again to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

The flight which arrived from the Philippines on Sunday carried 119 Chinese passengers, including the 13 Chinese nationals who tested positive.

Two Cambodian females who also arrived on Sunday from the US via Taiwan tested positive, including a 13-year-old girl. They were among 72 passengers on the flight which departed the US.

The government previously suspended flights from Indonesia and Malaysia after noticing a large number of Covid-19 cases being imported from the two countries.

Hun Sen announced on Sunday that Covid-19 continued to threaten lives and economies throughout the world. But he confirmed that the situation in Cambodia was not as serious as there had yet to be community transmission in the Kingdom.

The Ministry of Health has reiterated its calls on people to take precautionary measures to prevent human-to-human transmission as the five-day replacement holiday for Khmer New Year approaches next week.

In a press release, it said another Covid-19 patient has been discharged from hospital, bringing the total number of recoveries to 220.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM warns of ‘new Cold War’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the possibility of a so-called new Cold War has become a significant concern and that all countries have to reject outright, any attempt to allow history to tragically repeat itself. He made the remarks in a speech during 75th Session

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped